The practice of lectio can lead seamlessly into the practice of quiet prayer.
Read a very short passage of Scripture aloud,
slowly and attentively
- Sit quietly for a moment.
- Retell the passage accurately, each person repeating a word or phrase from the passage until it has been retold.
- Listen in silence for a minute or two.
Chew the food; friendliness
- Read the selected passage aloud again.
- In silence, let Jesus speak to each person about the
meaning of the passage for him or her, or its
meaning in today’s world for three or four minutes.
- Share aloud the insights received.
- Reflect on the insights in silence for another three
or four minutes.
Swallow the food; friendship
Read the passage of Sacred Scripture aloud a third
time, slowly and attentively.
In silence, ask, “What response does this passage
of Scripture call forth from me to God?”
Make the response from your heart.
Spontaneous prayers may be spoken.
Pray in silence for about five minutes.
Taste the fullness of the Word; union of life
Read the short passage a final time.
Rest in the presence of the Word, allowing the
Holy Spirit to speak to your deepest self in and
through the silence, for another five minutes.